Friday, January 1, 2010

Art Restoration with Canon 7D



A client asked if there was any way to restore a painting that had been "damaged."

I said sure I can reproduce, and clean up artwork that is old, discolored, or damaged.  I found out this painting had been in the family for a long time and had been used for a target at some point. The person who used it as a target was a good shot too, seems to have one shot in the forehead. 

I set it up outside in bright open shade, took a meter reading and adjusted exposure and white balance. 

 Using the new Canon 7D and it's live view shooting mode I was able to zoom in and adjust critical focus to pick up the texture in the original painting. 

After capture, in Photoshop,  I enjoyed the challenge of restoring the look of this painting while keeping the texture as well as the brush strokes.